Designing this business gives us the opportunity to make conscious choices, every step of the way.
At Appellation, we take our social, environmental and organisational responsibility seriously.
As a self-funded start-up, we face limitations but we do what we can within our means.
Examining the impact of our supply chain and questioning all aspects of our packaging and manufacturing processes is a continuous effort.
As nature lovers, we are deeply concerned about the impact of the essential oil industry on the planet. In 2022, the global essential oil market was valued at about $21.8 billion. It is anticipated to grow at a rate of 7.9% each year until 2030.
It goes without saying we are committed to minimising our impact.
What we do...
- When it comes to our ingredients, we take sourcing seriously, tracing ingredients to their origins. Our essential oils are either certified organic, or fair-trade: sustainably and ethically wild-harvested.
- Our sourcing partners are committed to quality and conservation. We prefer to partner with smaller companies: female-founded and family-owned growers and producers, who value sustainable practices. Where possible, we like to personally visit individual distillers to ensure our ingredients are cultivated, harvested and produced in a manner that benefits the local community as well as the environment.
- Sustainability and traceability is paramount when sourcing wild-harvested or threatened species, such as our Frankincense (Boswellia sacra) which is derived from controlled harvests in Oman; our Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus radiata), which is sourced from a sustainably managed regeneration plantation in Australia, and our Palo Santo (Bursera graveolens), which is harvested exclusively from dead trees in Ecuador, with funds channelled back towards forest restoration projects and community education.
- We would always choose a supplier who pays harvesters a liveable wage over a cheaper option.
- We keep it local where we can. Our essential oil blends are formulated in-house and manufactured locally in the UAE at a family-owned GMP lab.
- Unlike many brands, we use violet (biophotonic) glass bottles, which are more costly but protect the therapeutic potency of our ingredients, preventing oxidation and resulting in less expiration waste. They're also reusable and recyclable for a plastic-free future.
- Our diffusers are packaged in reusable cardboard boxes and wrapped in compostable Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified tissue paper printed with soy-based inks (acid, sulphur, and lignin-free).
- To protect our essential oils, we package them in biodegradable cardboard tubes which can be reused, or in eco-friendly, FSC-certified cardboard boxes.
What we give...
5% of every online purchase goes towards causes that are dear to us. These include, but aren't limited to charitable organisations that work day-in-day-out for the betterment of families, children and the communities who need it. Stay tuned for a more in-depth look at our partners and the causes we are proud to support. Follow along on Instagram for updates.